Thread: Otto
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 06:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Doody

It takes time for the deep pain response to come back. Is he wagging his tail yet?? That is a good sign. It is a long recovery for most.

I know of a woman whos doxie was in a cart for almost 6 months, she did the physical therapy with him and slowly he started to walk.

IS Otto peeing and pooping on his own? I hope he is because that too is a great sign. With some of these pups you have to express the bladder for a while. Mya was fine right away, but she never lost her abilty to walk, she walked like a drunken sailor, but she could walk.

Crate rest is SO important. Initially he will probably be fine with the crate rest as he will feel pretty bad for a while. The pain meds will keep him calm as well. After a couple of weeks when he starts tio feel better it will become a challange.

I put Mya in her crate and borrowed a wagon from a neighbor so I could pull her from room to room so she could be with me. When in the den watching TV I put her crate up on the coffee table so she could see what was going on without getting up.

I have seen MANY doxies that do great in carts as well. Usually after they have the surgery they heal well and are no longer in pain, but some are never able to walk again....but they are NOT IN PAIN.

Its a slow process. I have had 2 back surgeries and I KNOW how slow the progress is...the good news is these dogs are so stubborn LOL you can't keep em down. My thoughts and prayers are continuing for little Mr Otto. Keep us updated!!
Doody (12-15-2008)