View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrie View Post
Hey Mac!!! If I am eating correctly which is not all of the time ut if I am I always always eat a protein with the carbs...I have to eat some carbs so I eat crackers and put peanut better on them or if I eat oatmeal I grab a hunka cheese to help level of the absorbtion od the carb! You should try to go to a diabetic clinic and talk to a dietitian...very helpful!!
Good advice Dorrie. That's how I found out how to eat.

To Mac:

And the fact that your grandmother cries if you don't eat her food? Well, I just looked at this and could not believe it. You need to sit your grandmother down and tell her this:

"this is my life we are talking about. If my sugar goes too high my feet feel it (you have neuropathy, am I correct?). My doctors at Cornell told me that in order to keep my neuropathy (in my feet) at bay, the best thing is to control one's blood sugar.

Now if I went to ANYONE'S house, and they tried to force me to eat ANYTHING that is wicked for my diabetes (now I'm not talking about any half of a baked potato, because that won't kill anybody!!), but just in general. You must explain to your grandmother that this affects your LIFE. your BODY, and YOUR FUTURE!!!

She might not completely understand this (how old is she anyway). But you must PUT YOUR HEALTH FIRST.

This is a mind-set thing. I've been doing it for 4 years. I went to a friend's house and they were all drinking (it was some party for someone). and they had all kinds of cake and snacks and booze. Now I don't drink. It's not my thing. And because I have neuropathy, I CAN'T DRINK anything with liquor. It will inflame my neuropathy.

Well, they were all pouring themselves glasses of wine and doig vodka shots and stuff, and they tried to get me to drink. I simply said "now you know that I don't drink, I never drink, I HAVE NEVER DRANK ANYTHING, so why would I drink something now?" They said the thing that EVERYONE SAYS when they want you to do WHAT THEY ARE DOING regardless of whether it's good for you or not.

They said "oh, this won't kill you, one little taste of this, one little sip of this, etc (get my message??).

I just looked at them and said 'listen, if you want to put that stuff in your body, that's YOUR business, but I'm under a good doctor's care at Cornell, and I listened to what she said and I follow the program". So thanks but no thanks".

They finally got the message. I didn't need to drink to have a good time. I didn't need to have cake to have a good time. I didn't make a big deal out of this. THEY were making the big deal. I don't like to get on the defensive in these cases. But our health should be worth SOMETHING.

I know mine is.

So gently explain to your grandma about why you can't eat a lot of what she makes. Perhaps you can give her a list of what she can make you. She just wants to cook for you. She's a grandma!!! That's what a lot of them do. They just want to see you smile and give hugs back.

That's what I would do if I ever get lucky enough to be a grandma.

P.S. And what's so bad about a reading of 99. To me, that's just fine.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote