View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd
Say, I had a lady who I made a special compound for who brought her
maltese in to meet me (his name was Wheezer). I thought he was a doll too.

We are thinking of a small dog when our oldest cat passes...
How are the maltese as a breed? Do they like the out doors?
Are they nervous, etc?

What is the other dog, may I ask?

Do they bark alot? Sometimes small dogs have ATTITUDE, if you get my drift?
Honestly, I love my dogs to death but tell everyone I know not to get a Maltese unless you get a puppy and have a LOT of time to work with them. She is nervous, normally sticks to us and hates everyone else. She is also afraid of grass, pees when she's mad, etc.

The other dog is a shih-tzu and poodle cross. He is extremely smart and very well behaved. However, he barks at nothing and does this a LOT.

Both dogs are great in the terms of shedding (they do not shed). The Maltese requires a lot of 'cleaning'. You need to clean her eyes daily or they will stain her hair. The same applies for her mouth. Furthermore, when she goes potty she needs to be cleaned afterwards since things typically end up 'hanging around' if you know what I mean.
I'd feel safe to say a Maltese would be best with one owner who has a lot of time to spend on training. Also a person who doesn't get a lot of company. It took me almost two years and a lot of house guests (who had treats and belly rubs) to teach mine to not bark at everyone. She would growl and bark at everyone and tends to dislike all men but my boyfriend who she adores and will protect (if someone gets too close to him, she will lunge).

She also has breathing problems which seem to be common for the breed, it's called reverse sneezing so I have to hold her nose when she does it. She also gets sunburn easily.

Another problem these days with Maltese is they are looked at like an accessory rather than a pet, so people keep inbreeding them to accomplish the smallest Maltese possible. With this comes serious health problems and a shorter life span for the dogs. I personally would go anywhere BUT to a breeder for this reason. My dog came from a puppy mill and her mother was killed during a bunk debarking (they want to save money by using a metal rod shoved down their throat). My dog was given a botched spay job and they used steel stitches. I have to be careful picking her up as one will poke through her skin, they cannot remove it due to how her tissue grew around it.

The shih-tzu and poodle cross is a very smart dog, but hyper as ever. He's 9 and has 10 times the energy of my Maltese. He also has some humping problems with stuffed toys (he finishes). He will follow all of my commands but not my boyfriend. He is very smart. For example, I was teaching the Maltese it was 'OK' to go potty outside, and teaching him to come in after going potty. She wouldn't go out, he wouldn't come in. So I rewarded them with treats after they came in from going potty. He learned this quick and would 'fake' going potty to get his treat, then will go to the door to go BACK outside and then go potty, trying to get two treats. It's funny, but you get the idea of how smart they are and how willing they are to trick you.

I've had several pets through my years. I had a cocker spaniel, pit bull, newfoundland and soft coated wheaten terrier. Out of all dogs, my pit and the wheaten were the best. The pit was best with kids (god love the poor thing, they rode him like a horse) and the wheaten was the best mannered. He was easy to train, very loving and good with all people. The only downside was I had to brush him several times a day (he could walk and get tangles).

I'd suggest if you're looking into a dog, go towards a rescue that dog matches. They basically will train the dogs and then do a personality match with you and/or your family.
is the best place I have found to date. I used to work for a wildlife rescue, so I have a 'thing' for animals. I'm in the process of looking into adopt a new one but the eye injury of the Maltese set us back.

Anyway, hope that information helps out. I need to go back to bed now.

Oh, also - I haven't owned one - But I have a friend with a Malte-poo and she is a very great dog. Also the mini-schnauzers seem to be very good (not big barkers, sweet, etc.). I find most dogs behave differently depending on how they were trained, much like children. I adopt, so it's hard to say with mine. My boyfriend corrupted our oldest one so he walks all over us (literally).

I feel like I may be having an aura so I will finish this when I'm done (sorry)

Last edited by Ellie; 11-27-2006 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Finishing post
Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote