View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macophile View Post
I agree, no one should force you to eat things that are not good for you. My Grandma is 92, and she believes in healthy food... which include milk and potatoes (she's irish) and I have already had the "I can't have this" talk with her about the milk (In which I told her I can only have this every so often because it is much higher in sugar than cheese.), but she gets so worried that I am not getting the right nutrients and keeps asking if I will just have a little because it is good for me... She is just so sweet and concerned that it is hard to hurt her feelings...

The neuropathy is supposedly being caused by an auto-immune disease, but they are not sure if a small part of it might be the sugar problem, so I don't want to risk anything. My blood sugar when I eat potatoes and such is in the 120's or 130's, which in my book is too high... the 99 reading you are referring to is from the day I had 78grams of sugar, but they were all from whole grains and fruit and veggies. My confusion is why can I have 78grams in one day and be fine, but have 1/4th a baked potato and my sugars skyrocket.... it just seems weird to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I understand your dilemma. I have diabetes for 20 years and I still learn new stuff about it every day. For example, if I forget to eat lunch, and I go from 9 a.m. to 4 without eating, my sugar goes UP. It seems that my liver produces sugar when I don't eat. Who knew this? I am in a clinical trial at Cornell in NYC and you wouldn't believe what I have learned.

I age Spaghetti last week. Regular spaghetti. Not the low carb kind. I wanted to see if all my good work would be rewarded and what would happen if I ate a small dish of spaghetti. My sugar was 112 the next morning. I smiled.

This does not happen all the time. I will get various readings. They are more concerned about my a1c reading (which is 6 - down from 9.5 when I joined the protocol).

This is how they explained my diabetes to me. "Melody, you can do everything right, but one day you'll wake up and your sugar might be 190". I said "why on earth would it do that?" and she responded "Because it's diabetes and this means your blood sugar is unstable". You might be great for the most part, but once in a while (even when you eat correctly), you might just get that spike."

This doesn't happen to me often, but it does happen. I try not to worry about it any more because all that does is give me stress.

I grow my sprouts. I eat what I grow. I eat whole grains, no sugar, no refined carbs, no starches etc. I went to a nutritionist. I learned what is in my best interest to eat.

I follow the protocol. I'm 61 and I look pretty good for an old broad. lol. When I was 40, I was 300 lbs and walked with a cane. I no longer do this.

while eating this way is not for everyone, it most certainly works for me. When I go to a birthday party, or a wedding, sure I'll have a piece of cake. It won't kill me.

And as for your 92 year old grandmother, well God bless her. Just know that when you go to her home, try and eat great for the majority of the day, knowing that when you go there you might have to please grandma and eat something.

And you're lucky to have a grandma. I remember mine. She used to make this italian thing called "BE AN GU MANGADA which (on the side of the Cornstarch box) reads in English "vanilla blanc mange". I never understood what this was but it was the most delicious thing I ever ate in my whole life.

It had vanilla, and eggs and bits of chocolate. I would wolf the whole thing down and ask for seconds. She was pleased as punch. That's what grandma's do. THEY FEED YOU!!!

lol

So be at peace, do the best you can. Your numbers sound good to me. I know people who can't get their numbers below 200. So I don't complain. There's always someone much worse off in the diabetes world.

We can only do the best we can and eat the best we can.

I gave up most things white. And thankfully I love my sprouts.
I am now sprouting black turtle beans and green peas in my kitchen (along with my other sprouts.).

I watched a video on this yesterday and it seems that when you soak the beans overnight and you sprout them, it takes out the gas.

That's all I had to hear!!

lol
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote