View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

First of all, Hello and Welcome to Neurotalk!! I am so sorry to hear that you also suffer from RSD and that you have had it so long . I suffer from RSD in my left leg and right arm, I developed it when I was 12 years old and am now 13.

I have only had one nerve block which I had about 5 months after the initial injury which caused the RSD when I was first diagnosed. I didn't respond very well at all and developed some pretty severe balance and co-ordination problems. When I woke from having the block (I had it under General Anaesthetic because of my age), I couldn't walk at all and every time I tried to do so, my leg would just shoot out in front of me and I would fall to the ground.

It was only when we eventually got home that my mum looked on the internet and read an article stating that you should never inject directly into a limb affected by RSD unless you absolutely have to. My Pain Management Doctor didn't know that at the time and injected a drug called Guanethidine into my ankle that had RSD. I spent 13 months in a wheelchair and it was only when I went onto an intense PT program that I begun walking again, although I can still only walk short distances.

I don't want to scare you at all and really hope that I haven't. I just wanted to share my experience with me just so that you are aware. I really hope and pray that the nerve blocks help you and am keeping you in my thoughts!!