View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

magnru, i know what you mean with wanting to get back to normal.
i was in the same situation, well kind of.
i was due to start college on 4th september and i was really looking forward to this as it was a brand new fresh start from everything, i would be able to get back into routine and complete my education as well as i could after having a dreadful two years in my GCSEs at secondary school.

On the 2nd of september, i had an appoitment with my opthamologist, who has been trying to investigate my on going headaches, nothing had been found to that date, except this one time where papilledema was found. i had felt fine for wekks with no headaches which was surprising, i felt better than ever but they actually found that i had pressure in head once again.
i came back the next day for an appointment with some professor goadsby and he confirmed this and made it apparent that i had to be admitted straight away and have an ICP tap put into my head to measure the pressure. This was the point where everything came crashing down, i had had no problems with my shunt for 12 years and the day before i start college, a problem is found!
i was expected to be out after 2 days of pressure monitoring, but i went into a coma and had to have emergency shunt revision. i came out as light as rain, but 5 days later i was back for my post op checkup and xrays. an xray revelaed that the distal end of the catheter had migrated from the peritoneal area so i had to have this reinserted about an hour after finding this out!! But exact happened again and it came out of place due to scar tissue so a new incision was made on my abdomen. But since that night of the op ive had pain everyday, on and off. i was back in for investigation of the pain and had every test possible spent my 17th birthday in there, but nothing was found exept an ovarian cyst and excessive fluid, but they couldnt be sure of what was causing the pain until the ovarian cyst had gone. I was back 4 weeks later and had an ultrasound done and it showed i still had excessive fluid but the ovarian cyst had gone, but i still had the pain everyday.
im now due to go to hospital and have my VP shunt converted to a VA so the distal end goes into the heart which should resolve the pain if its shunt related and due to fluid in my stomach.
They wanted me to go today and have fluid taken from my reservoir, but my family are at a funeral, so it should be tomorrow.
then they wanted me to come back on sunday, which is my little sister birthday! and then i should be home on xmas eve hopefully, but that my baby brother birthday and well then theres xmas. Everything is just not going right, i just want a routine back really. ive spent the equivalent of about 2 weeks at college so far since september! argghh.

well i hope you can get back to work soon and they sort this pain out
Best of luck to you!!
jadiee-x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote