View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
And I think this site has some very important information about microchips you should read. Most especially that some microchips can't be read by current scanners!

My vet checked Bruna's chip for me.
how'd i miss this post?

oh well......

some of the problem with missing microchips other than poor quality scanners, are poorly trained people useing the poor quality scanners.
true story from my own experience ;....we had a vet tec scan a dog someone brought in from off the street and didnt find a chip. she was getting ready to put one in and the vet changed the battery in the scanner. i tested it out on the very same dog and not only found his micro chip, but found TWO.
the chips generally go in at the base of the neck,subQ. but they can migrate. when scanning you have to do the whole animal,not just where youd expect the chip to be.some times it can be hard to do that on frightened animals, but it needs to be done.
also,some scanners arent sensitive enough to pick up the chips from more than a couple inches away from the animal.so regardless of the scanner, new or old,regardless of the chip,new or old. you arent going to have much luck without a thorough scan.

btw.....ive got a new puppy. her chip is through 24petwatch. a lot of the people i deal with arent aware that 24petwatch will also register homeagain and avid chips for rehomed animals who were previously chipped

Some days are all fleas and no kibble
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (12-17-2008)