View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Relate to Losing Weight?

I never thought I would be complaining about weight loss. Over a 6-month period, I have lost over 40 lb. (somebody will have to convert that to Kg). I have had PD for 14+ years (diagnosed 14 years, but had symptoms about 5 years before that).

Here are the possile reasons:

1) I had not one but two different surguries for cervical fusion (hernias in the neck). Since this last time I have had trouble swallowing - especially things like meat and bread. And when I am off (such as early mornings) it's quite a task to get my pills down.

2) Difficulty swallowing is a sign of advancing Parkinson's, but I still contend this was brought on by my second surgery.

I did request and had barium swallow testing, where you eat different foods laced with barium while a radiologist, nurse and doctor "watch" via x-ray imaging. And I went to extended release medications on everything I could and cut out 8-10 pills a day! Of course it's more expensive, but well worth it (and I have a good supplemental insurance plan).

The swallow test indicated some difficulty swallowing certain foods, but they just advised me to always have liquids to drink with food and to take small bites and chew, chew, chew.

Back to the weight loss - I have also had a decrease in appetite (and this really concerns me.) I lived to eat and didn't eat to live! I even LOST 2 lbs. on a recent cruise (where half of the time you eat - eat - eat; and at all hours of the day.

I haven't painted a pretty picture, but this is something we should know. Weight loss is a symptom of advancing PD, but the radiologist said the time for concern is when liquids seep into your lungs - common in end-stage PD and resulting in pneumonia.

If you do get choked on liquids, there are "thickeners" that will help prevent this seepage when swalllowing.

I am curious to talk with others about weight loss, and what do you do with all that loose skin when the fat is gone? Can we make stem cells out of it? lol

Peg
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote