View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 10:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Erin: I was in hospital when they started my pred - they wanted to make sure I didn't crash at all, but I was fine. I didn't get any better though - it took a good few weeks before I built back up my strength. I feel ok at 40mg, not great though - it's such a fine balance. And I can definitely feel a difference between my steriod days and non-steriod days. My old neurologist said she wanted the alternate day therapy so I would keep my thyroid active in the meantime.

You asked about my symptoms - I still have minor ptosis when I get tired or read a lot and some double vision. My biggest problem is arm and leg weakness - I still have to be very careful on stairs they seem to realy fatigue my muscles and given that I'm carrying around all this extra weight doesn't make things any easier! I'm okay as long as I take my Mestinon every 3 hours - like clockwork!!! It's a NEED, not an option. I have some days when I feel a bit better than others, but usually I'm counting down the minutes until my next dose! I've fallen down too many flights of stairs to want that to happen again. Because of my weakness I've "lost" one of the muscles in my legs (just above the ankle, below the shin on the front of my leg). I also suspect a similar problem with a muscle around my knees because that seems to be the weakest area of my legs. It just means I have to be careful when stepping.

In terms of how my family feels... I don't really know! My husband is just very supportive and helps when he can. I still suspect that he thinks some of it is "all in my head" but he's also seen enough to know that there is something not quite right. It's just the variability that confuses him. I think my Mom is scared, especially being so far away from one another. She only sees me a couple of times a year so she worries a lot! My Dad just expects me to get on with things and that is pretty well what I do! My MG might slow me down a bit sometimes, but it's not going to stop me! And my mother-in-law just wants me to have babies (sadly not going to happen while I'm on the azathioprine) so she doesn't quite get it either! My workmates know I have some weird condition but I don't like to talk about it too much so I don't sound whiney.

How are you feeling? Ready for the holidays?

Miachris: I'm jealous of your cleaner. Lately I've felt well enough to clean, but can't get motivated! I try to stay on top of everything, but everytime i turn around i find something else that's messy!! My husband thinks I'm a bit crazy with cleaning too - maybe not OCD but not far off! He just never seems to notice any mess... typical late-20s male I suppose (poor guy - he's getting a rough deal in this post... he really is fantastic).

And see! By this massive post I am again procrastinating from cleaning!! Ah well, here I go. Take care everyone!!
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote