View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bponca View Post
Does anybody have "spongy" bulges on the top of the shoulders, close to the base of your neck?

These popped up on me about the time my neurogenic symptoms first did. Even though I hadn't gained any weight or anything, I had two doctors say they were "new" fat, one said the top of my lungs were protruding through my rib cage (yeah, right! - just all of a sudden?), and the other one just totally blew me off like I'm a hypochondriac.

Many times when my neuro symptoms start up, the pain is right over these bulges.

Any ideas?

Carrie
HI Carrie, there is one thought that I had that Dr. Steve Annest explained to me about the same thing along my spine. The nervebundle is inflamed and the muscles protect it by responding as a splint wrap around.
As the brachial bundle comes off the spine and behind the collar bone the muscles may be protecting it. Mine are not spongy on my shoulders, they are rock hard and a defined slope to the shoulder.

If you gently press behind the raised area toward the shoulder with fingers, and in the front of the sponge area with your thumb near the neck front area massage it a biot. Use heat, and gentle range of motion and stretches to keep mobility.

Another thing you may notice is a swan neck; reverse curve, that causes a hump on the upper back.
This is postural, and in TOSers not a windows hump, but the revers curve if you picture a S backwards, that is what is happening, I feel like my head rest on the upper back.....

When I flare, the knife in the upper shoulder blade KILLS.
The best thing that helps me with this muscle trigger point mess is the hot tub. Dr. Togut use to say loosen up to use a hot bath, but the energy to get into and clean the bath mess kills too...I also use 10 mg generic valium, about $9 once a day for anti-spasm.

Just my thoughts
di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (12-18-2008)