View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 04:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Mel, sounds like you are very happy with your own antivirus program so there is no reason for change.
The icons to the programs that you definatly don't want to use ever again, just go to " Control Panel/ Click on " add remove programs "/ run down the list and then select the ones who want to uninstal, then simply uninstall them, you may have to reboot after each program that you have uninstalled, but if so you will be prompted to do so thats if you have to, the ones that are not in that list, yes. delete them straight from the desktop into your recycle bin and then empty your bin.

For the ones you do want to keep [this is what i have done with mine], you may like to do this, right click on the desktop, run down to " New " then move over to " folder and click on it, a new folder will be created on your desktop, then go to the icons your want to keep, left click on one whist leaving the mouse button down and drag it over to the new folder that you just created then when it goes a blue colour, let go of of the mouse button and it will go into that folder, then do the same for all the rest, except the main ones you use very often, like any Internet browser icon etc.
Some say to just drag them over to the start button and they will come up in the first row of programs, but i don't recommend it, as i have come accross some problems doing it that way.

Once you have cleaned up all the screen candy, then right click on that new folder run down to " Send to " move accross then run down to " My Documents " then left click on it, you have done it, you have sent all of those icons to a folder in" My Documents ". next i normaly check to make sure they are in there, then go back to your desktop and left click on that new folder thats still on your desktop and drag it into the " Recycle Bin " then empty your recycle bin.

Now, to get to them when you want to use them, just go to "my documents" find that new folder [ you can name it anything you like] double click on it that will open it up and use the programs from there, you should notice your pc more responsive when using the net because you have given back more bandwidth to use on the net.

Outlook express is only a program that you need to be able to send and recieve emails, your antiviris program Verizon is configured in Outlook Express to look out for any crap that is trying to get through, if it does find something its doing its job properly, any genuine emails will be scanned just like any other emails are, if its clean you will have access to it, if its not, its not going to let you open it up and infect your machine, seeing thats the whole idea of having protection like Verizon.
General rule with emails is, if you don't know who they are don't open it.
Brian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote