View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 10:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfinney View Post
Brian - not correct at all. Stopping all those unnecessary programs from loading does much more than speed up your boot time. First off, they consume memory and thus can affect your overall computer processing. And internet speed, while certainly affected more by the speed of your internet connection, is also affected by overall processing power.

More importantly, most of those programs in fact do use bandwidth. They are designed to open and close internet connections. Some of them may be open quite awhile and/or check for updates and the like quite frequently. Also, some of these processes are very misbehaved and thus may not close properly or at all. They can also malfunction in other ways. Do you ever have unexplained computer blips? Thought so - one of the very first things that any competent tech support person will have you try is to disable ALL startups and see what happens. Takes care of the problem quite often.

And finally - it could also be that one of those itty bitty programs is a trojan that has been missed by whatever security you use.

I do agree that you should be conservative about deleting startups, however there are a couple of sites that provide very helpful information about almost any of these things. With just a little bit of effort, most novices can begin trimming in no time. And "msconfig" is most definitely not the place to do this. I won't bother going into all the reasons, but just use the tool I recommend or something similar.

Also, it is not correct that your desktop icons do not affect your internet connection. Having a lot of them may slow your boot time a bit - but that is all. It really makes no sense to move them, except if your desktop is cluttered.

You may be getting confused between those icons and the processes they represent. The icons do NOT show what programs are running. They represent a segment of your installed programs (not all installed programs put an icon on the desktop). Installed programs have nothing at all to due with running programs.

In fact, it is the program to which I referred, or "msconfig," that will give you a much better picture of what is running. Even those programs do not give the whole picture - as they just show the programs and processes that are set to launch at boot up. You actually have to call up the Windows Task Manager to see EVERY thing that is running on your computer at any given time.

Mel - Normally a broadband provider will provide all their subscribers with a homepage area. You should go there and log in. There will be an area with all of your emails - this is actually the place where all of your emails can be seen before they are downloaded to your computer and put into Outlook Express.

They should have a folder on the email page that has all the emails they have marked as spam. You can view them, delete them, unmark them so they are not spam, etc. There are probably some defaults you can change - for instance, how long they are kept before they are automatically deleted.

rfinney
.................................................. .................................................. .

Rfinnery – I do agree with you that programs using up memory do have an impact on internet speed, however I can’t see how other programs other than our antivirus, firewall type programs are active searching for most recent updates whilst we are using the net, Adaware is a good example of this being so, as you would be aware that we are prompted to allow access for them and I always configure for them to search for updates without prompting me for permission to do so.

The only time that I do notice any strain of power when using the net, is only when I call upon another program to startup like Nero, to do some recoding for me and at the same time I might even have an antivirus program running as well, other than those circumstances I don’t have any loss of internet strength and that’s without disabling programs as you mentioned earlier.

If you really think it doesn’t make any sense cleaning your desktop, then why does Microsoft by default in XP os, prompt us to clean up any unused icons ?
Here is a site that gives a few simple tips to speed up our PC’s. were useless icons are mentioned .
http://familyinternet.about.com/od/t...upcomputer.htm
Also just simply lowering your graphic settings down to say 16 bits, is another way to slightly improve performance , so I really can’t understand your reasoning about desktop not being an issue as far as performance goes., I think you would agree that anything that has to do with using memory will definatly affect the systems performance..

I am really not confused either about icons and and the processes they represent, its very simple to right click the task bar and bring up the task manager to see what processers are running, not only can I see exactly how much percent the CPU is using, also from there I can see how much physical Memory there is and keep an eye on the system cache as well.and more as you would probably know..
This thread has turned out a thread that would be very typical of a computer forum not a PN forum, but one thing leads to another that’s they way it goes, if every one thought the same it would be a boring old world
we live in
Take care
Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote