Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 01:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkid View Post
Thanks very much for your kind thoughts.

By the way, I neglected in my original post to mention that my name is Hal. I grew up on a small dairy farm in Southeastern Idaho, drank from an old well, used pesticides and herbicides prolifically on the farm, and did a lot of welding in my teenage years as a Future Farmer of America ---- lol lol. I think that I engaged in just about every pursuit and lived in every condition that has been linked with increased risk for Parkinson's. Of course, I never gave any of it a second thought as I was growing up and engaging in those activities on the farm.

I now live in Wisconsin where we had a pretty significant snow storm last night. There are few things that are as much fun as getting up at 5:00 a.m. to move eight inches of snow off of the driveway. I am certain that many of you know what I mean...

I have five children, four girls ages 24, 21, 16, and 8; and one boy age 12.

I have wanted to join in discussions on many occasions, but for some reason I just could not bring myself to register for the site. The first couple of years after my diagnosis I was terrified that someone would find out that I had Parkinson's Disease, that it might affect my employment and who knows what else. I no longer harbor those fears.

You folks here have taught me not to be afraid. I have no idea where this Parkinson's journey is going to take me or what challenges and trials it will bring into my life. Nevertheless, I know that you folks are here for each other, and I find great power in what I have seen you doing for one another.

I look forward to interacting with you and getting to know you better.

Thanks again, Hal

Hal;
nice to make your aquaintance! my sainted wife Bonnie and I have 5 kids also.girls 24, 20, and 18 and twin boys 15.

I was Diagnosed with PD in 1990 at age 40, I had a bilateral DBS-STN at UCLA in 2002. I still get along with no meds, my major issue is balance, so I am starting Stalevo or sinemet soon.

My suggestion for you is to join PAN (Parkinsons Action Network) ( our lobbying organization) First, the annual meeting is great and you can put a face to many of the posters here. I am not sure if Wisconsin has a state coordinator, but you can always be an associate. It takes very little of your time.
You do not have to do any of the above if you feel like it is too much for you. There are scholarships to the meeting, (3/13-15) available for anyone interested in supporting PAN.

there are many opportunites to get involved, hope you avail yourself of them.

Again welcome to the group

Charlie Black

Last edited by chasmo; 12-19-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (06-08-2010), minkid (12-20-2008)