View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes. Don't self medicate with those. See a doctor. One that cares some, at least. I have taken Neurontin. I'm with you. I know what you're talking about.

My cardiovascular surgeon calls it "rotten Neurontin"

I have issues with it but it helped when nothing else could.

800 X3? that's an equine dose (horse size)...

Dang. You're typing pretty good for 24 mgs in 24 hours. check your pulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol1211k View Post
I have had chronic sciatic pain since 2004 in spite of 3 surgeries, 4 rounds of PT, and who knows how many drugs. For the past year or so I have been on generic Zanaflex and Lyrica for the pain. I have gained 40 pounds in the past 4 years, partly from Neurontin and Lyrica, and partly from my greatly reduced amount of exercise.

Recently the university I worked for decided I was okay and wasn't disabled anymore. They cut their part of my disability ( I still have SS disability). Although I now have Medicare, the University's disability covered Rx drugs. I was forced to stop taking the expensive ones, so Lyrica went. I stopped it cold. Bad idea--horrible withdrawal symptoms for several days. My leg began to hurt badly again even with Vicodin, so my PM dr. put me back on generic Neurontin--suddenly 800mg. 3 times a day. This is until my second fusion surgery on January 7th.

That was 2 weeks ago. The side effects have been buidling up. For 3 days I've been home with what I thought was flu, but as I thought about it today I realized I've had swollen ankles and feet, difficulty thinking, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea and severe general achyness coming on since I started the Gabapentin. I also realized my PM put me on twice the dosage I had ever been on before (maybe thinking to replace the Lyrica better?)

At any rate, I'm cutting back on the stuff. But I also have some Lyrica samples from my neurosurgeon. Should I get off the Gabapentin and back on to the Lyrica or just cut back? I know I should call my PM, but the office is too busy and takes days to return calls.

Any thoughts?
(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote