View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--that the glucose readings are in the sort of borderline impaired glucose tolerance range; not quite frank diabetic, but above where they should be optimally (assuming this test was done fasting).

Now, as to the other findings, I'm assuming they came from a protein electrophoresis, in which the proteins in your blood are measured, including the antibodies. The IFE is an immunofixation electrophoresis, which is designed to check for abnormal antibody proteins (they'll probably do a quantitative immunoglobulin measurement at the same time to determine just how MUCH of these are there, too).

Specifically, they're looking for monoclonal antibodies or M-proteins, which result when the bone marrow, which produces all of our blood components that are not plasma, overproduces and releases incomplete/immature protein strings all of the same type (that's where the "mono" comes from). In this case it appears they might have detected an IgG (immunoglobulin G) kappa chain (there are various classes of immunoglobulins, each with different functions in immunity reaction--G, M, A, E, D, in reverse order of normal concentration). The kappa refers to a particular type of immature protein chain pattern.

The reason this is important is the condition of monoclonal gammopathy has been associated with neuropathy--the immature proteins often cross-react and bind with components of peripheral nerves. Moreover, presence of such proteins can be a sign of certain types of blood dyscrasias.

See:

http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/antibody/mprotein.htm

Thanks, Glenn. I think I understand....So, is this something serious and can it be "fixed?"
Leslie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote