View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I have a very funny story to tell you about a friend of mine named Mary (long long time ago). I had never met a person from Great Britain and I was about 21 years old.

She had this delightful accent. She grew up in England and was born in Scotland and kept telling everybody she was NOT SCOTCH, that SCOTCH was a drink!!

I remember being in the elevator with her and I asked her 'what's it like to have a Queen, that must be fascinating". And she began to explain about the Queen and the Queen mum and I just stood here enthralled.

But the funniest thing was when she explained how she happened to learn about american vernacular. (how americans speak to each other in a common or so way).

She learned the hard way.

She had just come over from England and was staying for awhile in a hotel. She kept dialing up the guy at the front desk asking him to 'KNOCK ME UP TOMORROW MORNING".

He kept laughing and she had no idea why he was laughing. I burst out laughing. I said: "you have no idea what you asked him?" and she said "I asked him to knock me up each morning, I wanted to get up early and be on time for work".

I said "Mary, Knock me up...means Get me pregnant".

Well, the look on her face was priceless. She said "I asked this guy to get me pregnant?, Oh my god, I must have asked him this 30 times".

The whole office laughed our behinds off.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
who moi (12-20-2008)