View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
I understand that many many articles written by financial reporters and news reporters can be found by googling them, Cherie. I am not stupid.

What I do NOT find is the original announcement by Biogen, nor do I find an 8k, which the SEC requires when ANY material event that may affect the share price of a listed company's stock happens. This includes patients previously reported as having contracted a disease that may or may not be from the use of that company's product dying as a consequence of taking that drug.

I find a lot of speculative articles about the event, along with speculations about what caused the death.

While there is a very good chance that this patient died from IRIS, I refuse to speculate further as to how she died until more information becomes available, but thanks for your input.
IRIS with PML is often referred to as PML-IRIS because, as I understand, the use of plasmapheresis (to treat the PML) may cause the IRIS. Either way, IF she ultimately died from the previously announced case of PML, or from IRIS due to the treatment used to slow the devastation of PML . . . the chain reaction would clearly start with the use of Tysabri.

http://investorvillage.com/mbthread....wall=1#6097376

They will likely want to wait on autopsy results BEFORE they might intend to officially “announce” the cause of death and/or file an 8-K form (if that even occurs). In the meantime you are as entitled to “predict” her death might not be related to the PML, as I am to “speculate” that it was.

"Biogen says Tysabri PML patient dies in U.S.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:52pm GMT
By Toni Clarke

BOSTON (Reuters) - Biogen Idec Inc said on Friday that a multiple sclerosis patient who had been diagnosed with a rare brain infection while taking its drug Tysabri has died, sending the company's shares down nearly 3 percent.

Biogen and its partner Elan Corp Plc disclosed the case in October. Naomi Aoki, a spokeswoman for Biogen, said the company learned of the patient's death earlier this week.

Tysabri is seen as crucial to the growth of both companies. The drug was temporarily withdrawn from the market in 2005 after it was linked with a rare brain infection known as progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, or PML.

The drug was reintroduced in July 2006 with stricter safety warnings.
So far, there have been four new cases of PML, an infection rate that is still less than the one in 1,000 warned of in the drug's label. Nearly 18,000 patients have received at least a year of Tysabri. But investors are watching to see if the rate increases, and they are also looking at how successfully patients can recover.

"While we continue to believe the benefit/risk profile of Tysabri as favorable, we believe this death could lead the FDA and physicians to alter how future PML cases are managed," said Christopher James, an analyst at Rodman & Renshaw.

The patient who died was a United States patient who had received 14 monthly infusions of Tysabri as a stand-alone treatment. Previously she had received other therapies.

After developing the brain infection, the patient was treated with a procedure known as plasmapheresis, in which blood is removed, cleared of the drug, and replaced.

While the U.S. patient died, two patients who developed PML in Europe, and whose cases were announced in July, appear to be recovering following treatment, even though one had not been expected to survive. Earlier this month, Biogen announced that a fourth patient had developed PML. This patient, in Europe, is still alive.

The European patient that had not been expected to survive had developed a condition known as immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome, or IRIS. This occurs when the immune system, in eliminating an infection, produces an excessive inflammatory response that can worsen symptoms.
The patient was treated with corticosteroids.

Geoff Meacham, an analyst at J.P. Morgan, said it seems likely the U.S. patient, having gone through plasmapheresis, died of IRIS, and that since the European patient recovered, it might be possible to manage IRIS using steroids and close monitoring. Biogen declined to confirm this theory, citing patient privacy.

"In our view, the rate of PML is now critical to assessing the launch trajectory, and the regulatory outlook, should it stay in the 1/1000 range," Meacham said in a research note."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/health...BrandChannel=0

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Victor H (12-22-2008)