View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Default Another Annie Letter in today paper

Dear Annie,

Today I mourn the loss of a dear friend. She was vibrant, energetic and full of life, but on a crisp autumn afternoon, she committed suicide. She was only 35 and left behind two beautiful little girls.

My friend spent her life inspiring other women to get fit by opening her own women's fitness center. I do not know what transpired in the final hours of her life, but I do know she had been under a tremendous amount of stress. I have been in the health care profession for many years and
am ashamed to say I missed the warning signs.

I cannot change what has happened to my friend, but I can make other people more aware of the prevalence of depression. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, major depressive disorders affect 14.8 million American adults in any given year and depression is more prevalent in women. The median age is 32. Depression knows no boundaries. It does not discriminate against sex, race, age or profession.

There is a profound sense of emptiness in the families and friends left behind when a loved one commits suicide. I ask your readers to take the time to really listen to others and be aware of the warning signs of depression. Do not assume everything will work itself out. Most importantly, tell the people you love how much they mean to you. Life is so short. Don't wait until it is too late. I did not get to say goodbye to my friend or tell her what a wonderful person she was, but her spirit will live on in the lives of all the women she inspired.

signed...Michelle in Greensboro, N.C.

http://www.save.org/index.cfm?fuseac...2DC6B57AF18483

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (01-28-2014), mistiis (12-21-2008), Spanish Moss (12-21-2008), Twinkletoes (12-21-2008), who moi (12-21-2008)