View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 06:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Grin REMISSION!!!! Woohoo!!! <handsprings go here>

I have wonderful news to share with everyone!

I am in Tampa, Fla. where I am being treated by Dr. Anthony Kirkpatrick at the RSD Institute. Dr. K treats intractable RSD with a drug called Ketamine and usually does so in a series of 3 outpatient infusions of 4 hours each. With this process he's had tremendous success at putting RSD patients into full scale remission and literally giving them their lives back.
BACKGROUND: I have had a terrible case of RSD with unceasing (except for very brief exceptions) mind-bending pain that resulted from a fall in my home that injured my left knee. Because they missed the RSD diagnosis, local doctors later replaced my knee - which aggravated the RSD beyond belief. Just before I came down here I was on tremendous opioid doses and was virtually bedridden as I had deteriorated to the point that I could no longer even get from room to room in my home. I have an SCS that was put in a year ago but get no benefit from that. I had tried virtually every treatment there was and had totally given up hope of ever getting my life back again and was near suicide.
During my initial evaluation here in Tampa, Dr. Kirkpatrick decided that the lumbar sympathetic blocks I'd had in the past had not been administered correctly and scheduled me for a series of 3 in his office before deciding whether or not to proceed with the ketamine infusions. After just the very first block in his office my pain disappeared entirely! And I am now able to walk and work my leg for therapy in a warm water pool here at a nearby hotel. I've had two blocks now and couldn't be happier!! Dr. K is very compassionate and there's been absolutely NO DISCOMFORT during either of the blocks. He uses ketamine as the anesthetic for the block and is very generous with it to make sure that you do not experience any pain or discomfort.

Long and short of it is that it appears that after the 3rd block this coming Tuesday I will then fly home and pick up the pieces of the wonderful life I enjoyed before all this happened! It looks like I will not even need the ketamine infusions and Dr. K says that if anything happens down the road - which is evidently very unlikely - then I can always come back for a "booster" treatment to put me into remission again.

THIS MAN IS WONDERFUL AND HAS A REAL PASSION FOR TREATING RSD PATIENTS - ESPECIALLY YOUNG CHILDREN!!! He gets patients from all over the world and his entire office staff is so compassionate and caring. I JUST CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM!

And all you have to do is call and make an appointment with them - it's really that easy. AMAZING!!!
RSDer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (01-02-2009), clarkstar (12-04-2010), Imahotep (12-24-2008), loretta jewell (12-31-2008), mollymcn (01-08-2009), Sandel (12-27-2008)