View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 03:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The best thing I've heard about Topomax is that many have said they lost weight using it. I've never used this med as I think it's yet another anti-seizure drug that the docs have seized upon to try and help us PNers. Many swear by drugs like Neurontin and Topomax but many also swear at them. Despite having sold over $3.5 BILLION worth of Neurontin, Pfizer gained FDA approval for Lyrica as a specific medication for the treatment of the symptoms of diabetic PN and many PNers - both "diabetic" and "idiopathic" - say they are getting good results with it. (FDA never approved Neurontin for this purpose and they were fined around $34 million for advocating it's use in the treatment of PN). My doc is saving samples of Lyrica for me and I plan to give it a try around the first of the year. I've gotten such good results from the Duragesic and Fentanyl patches that I'm relunctant to try it but if a non-narcotic will work as well, then why not? The only way to find out is to titrate the Lyrica and gradually reduce the patch.......and if it works I will let you know. I am concerened that Lyrica has only been on the market for a relatively short time so we do not know what the long term effects might be.

DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote