View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMurphy View Post
I am curious about who else has had to take short-term disability for this. I am currently off work. I am in I.T. support for a very complex accounting/purchasing/inventory system and cannot work due to the side effects of the meds. I am in the process of changing from Neurontin to Tegretol and don't have the mental capacity to do my job (and many day to day things). My husband won't let me drive - which is probably a good thing. How long can I expect to be off work? Do STD insurance companies seem to cover this for very long? We cannot afford for me to be unemployed but I would be crushed if I was forced to go back and was fired. I wonder how this will play out and it causes me to worry every day.

Debbie
Hi Debbie,
I live in California, and here, the state disability lasts as long as a year, as long as they are kept up to date with the doctor's work-release notice. Regarding your company, they may only cover you for 6 months, at a fraction of your salary, if at all. If you are out 6 months, you should probably start the application process for long term disability through the federal government. I do not know where you live, and it may be very different in your state, and with your company. I am currently in the process of applying for long term disabilty. I would advise you to contact your company's HR department, they can walk you through all of this.

best of luck, I know this all can be scary.
MLN
Mylastnerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote