View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_with_MG View Post
Well, today is the day for my Thymectomy. Just wanted to thank everyone because your posts and this site make going thru the process much better. I will post when I get out of the hospital in 4-5 days. thanks again
Well everyone I had my Sternomy/ Thymectomy about two weeks ago and it was not as bad as I expected. My procedure lasted about 3.5 hours and I spent 6 days in the hospital at the ICU and “step-down “unit. My stay in the hospital could have been shorter but my doctors we concerned about my MG weakness and started me on IVIG treatment for 5 days. Over-all I am happy with the procedure!!! I am still taking 120mg ( 2 X 60mg)of Mestine ever 6 hours and I still have some double vision but that is much less than before and I feel my overall strength has improved (not sure if it is because of the Thymectomy or IVIG???). But with any Pro’s there are Con’s and here are mine. I have about an 10” scar down the center of my chest but it is healing nicely and should not be too bad in a few months/year or so. Second the pain. Yes, this procedure does hurt but can be managed with pain meds. Lastly, down-time- I will not be driving for another 2 weeks and moving heavy stuff is out of the question but this will past. If anyone is considering this procedure I would have to recommended it (I am not a doctor) it is not that bad and the benefits are good. Well, if any one has additional questions please let me know. I am only two weeks out and everything is still very fresh in my head. Thanks again everyone for the advise. Hope I can help someone
USMC_with_MG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote