View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 06:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New to forum - B12 deficiency & gluten intolerance?

Hello all, I'm hoping some of you can answer my questions about B12 deficiency and possible gluten intolerance. I'm a 38 y-o male and was diagnosed with B12 deficient anaemia four months ago. I don't know the cause of it. I am wondering whether celiac/gluten intolerance may be the cause. I live in Asia in a country with very limited medical expertise in this field. I have not been able to have any specific blood/antibody tests for gluten intolerance, but I have had an Esophago-Gastro-Duodenoscopy (EGD) and a colonoscopy, and biopsies. The results were all fine, according to my doctor (who wasn't able to give me any explanation for my B12 deficiency) but I still have unresolved questions.

My biopsy results showed:

Mild chronic ileitis with slightly flattened mucosa in the lamina propia, terminal ileum (with no increased eosinophils or parasites seen).

Moderate or mild mononuclear cells in the antrum, body and incisura. No H pylori organisms identified.

Moderate intestinal metaplasia in the antrum.

I'm wondering whether these results indicate gluten intolerance/celiac disease and, if so, whether this could explain my B12 deficiency? What I don't know is whether "slightly flattened mucosa" would constitute enough damage to the villi to prevent/reduce absorption of B12, or would the mucosa have to be significantly flattened? Secondly, if flattened mucosa were the explanation for my B12 deficiency, should I also have suffered deficiency of other nutrients (particularly iron), which apparently I did not?

In addition, do the "moderate or mild mononuclear cells" and the "moderate intestinal metaplasia" potentially mean anything regarding gluten intolerance?

Any answers or comments from those on this forum who are more knowledgeable than I on these issues would be very welcome.

Thanks greatly.
bobbyj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote