Thread: Someone tell me
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Oh gosh. Negative thoughts. That's a complex issue indeed.

My main concern is what you really mean. Is there anything we can do to help you in anyway here from the forum?

I figure they're not unusual but sometimes some of us get sorta "stuck". I'm one of them. Runs in my family. I could answer that "it's genetic", but that's far too simple an answer and that's not true for everyone anyway.

I think it all depends on so many factors, Gazelle, so it's very difficult to answer your question. Sometimes our 'self-talk' gets a little wayward and it's not so easy to reign it back in. I'm reminded of the book "THE IMP OF THE MIND" [perfect title too]. It's all about dealing with negative thoughts but ones that are more of an obsessive nature. I know not all negative thoughts have that element.

I think if the negative thoughts become overwhelming and daily life is changing to the extent that the negative thoughts affect our actual quality of life then it's a really good idea to talk with a professional about what's going on. There are many reasons for getting "stuck" and having these negative thoughts rule our lives. The real trick is to not let them, but that my friend is much easier said than done. Anxiety (for whatever reason) can also hinder our thought processes and present as really negative thoughts.

Once we allow the thoughts to affect our physical bodies it can become more of a trap. It's best to get on top of them el pronto - [in my own humble opinion.] A lot depends on the severity and how these thoughts are affecting our lives and where the thoughts have originated. Sometimes it takes something which might seem so insignificent. Other times it's sooooo traumatic an event that has triggered these thoughts. Some we can deal with ourselves and some we honestly need professional help to eleviate.

I wish I understood more about what you are asking, Gazelle. It's not always easy, but you can ride it out as Who Moi has written. He knows! I know. Others here know. It can be with those chips and salsa but it can also be with aged Kim Chee.

Self talk is great. Telling ourselves to "Shut up" will rarely work. I wish it would work but it doesn't. Changing thought processes can work though but sometimes we need to RELEARN how to think. Much goes back to childhood and this relearning can be helped by particular professionals. It all depends on so many factors.

Sorry to prattle on so much but this is such an important question.

I hope you're ok out there...

Quote:
How do you stop the negative thoughts in your head?

"Shut up" doesn't work.
EDITED TO ADD: I logged off to go but remembered something. Our old mate PTer knew all about that "imp of the mind"!

Last edited by Lara; 12-22-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CayoKay (12-22-2008), Curious (12-22-2008), Doody (12-22-2008), Gazelle (12-23-2008), mistiis (12-22-2008), Nik-key (12-24-2008), Spanish Moss (12-24-2008), Twinkletoes (12-22-2008), who moi (12-22-2008)