View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 05:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I really hate to praise cross breeding, but this was kind of for a good cause. The Labradoodle and Cockapoo are probably the best crosses I have seen to date regarding all aspects of behavior and stamina.

The Labradoodle is wildly expensive if you go through a breeder. They are bred because they are hypoallergenic dogs. Furthermore, you need to be very careful because people will continue to breed mother/son - son/daughter - daughter/son, etc. to accomplish a small dog, resulting in health complications.

These dogs (I've met several) have the best disposition I have EVER seen. I have never found such smart, kind, loyal dogs until I ran into these types. I am just amazed by the mix of them. I hate that people do this, but I must say - it's good for people who couldn't have dogs due to allergies. Plus, they really are the best of both worlds. You have the loyalty, love and stamina of a Lab mixed with the more calm/content and intelligent side of a poodle. The true breed should be with a smaller lab and a smaller, but standard poodle. Not toy breeds. They should be around the size of a large cocker or a springer. I am around 100 pounds and can handle these on my lap, they are a nice size.

Now a Cockapoo, God bless those cute boogers. These are a bit more compact, but not by much. The true Cockapoo should be a mix of a Cocker Spaniel and a Standard Poodle. Anyone who breeds a miniature or toy poodle with a cocker is just trying to get a small cute dog. These should grow to be the size of a cocker, anything smaller is probably going to have a toy mix in it. These would be good lap dogs, but from what I have seen - they may require a bit more training than a lab-doodle. My mother bred cockers, so I have seen quite a bit of various personalities they carry. Some tend to be a bit more stubborn than others. Hopefully, you get more poodle when it comes to that.

Again, I hate breeders but I will praise the behavior of many dogs mixed with poodles because they are so smart. I begged for a Labradoodle, but we can't find one to adopt or rescue and I will not go to a breeder because these days they are breeding with their offspring because they "need to be smaller" to be in style.

I'd personally say if you have the land for the dog to run on and a city life, the Labradoodle seems like it would be a great match for you. You may have to look hard if you plan to adopt though, most people who get them keep them.

Edit: PS: My Maltese loves sweaters and shirts. She gets cold a lot, so if I hold up a shirt she runs her face right into it. She hardly plays with toys (maybe twice a month) but loves blankets and pillows. We buy her blankets for her Bday and Christmas, not toys. If you throw a toy, she looks at you like, "Hey, you dropped something" and walks away.

The shih-poo loves dog socks. My dogs are weird, but when he puts his socks on he runs really fast. I use them to keep his feet out of his ear. Not to gross you out, but this is funny.

He puts his foot in his ear, digs out wax, smells it then eats it. The socks are necessary. If you could see him (he's so gross) you'd understand. lol.

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote