View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
I'm wondering whether these results indicate gluten intolerance/celiac disease and, if so, whether this could explain my B12 deficiency? What I don't know is whether "slightly flattened mucosa" would constitute enough damage to the villi to prevent/reduce absorption of B12, or would the mucosa have to be significantly flattened? Secondly, if flattened mucosa were the explanation for my B12 deficiency, should I also have suffered deficiency of other nutrients (particularly iron), which apparently I did not?
Who can know for sure? I don't think enough is known about celiac disease yet. People with DH are celiac, and they often times do not have flattened villi...how do we explain that?

If I were you, I would request a celiac panel be done. This will give you your IGG and IGA levels, plus your gene makeup and blood work. This could help you make up your mind too.

A gluten free diet can not hurt anyone. If you want to test the theory, then go gluten free and see what happens. I take 3000 mcgs of B12 methylcobalamin and my level is lower now than it was 3 yrs ago when I was taking 1000mcgs. Problem for me is, I was never tested for B12 before I started taking supplements, so we will never have a true level for me. I think I am not absorbing my B12 properly, even though my tests show a level of 1015. My iron was never terribly low, not to my knowledge. My sisters was so low, they told her she would need iron transfusions once a month for the rest of her life. Gluten free has changed that for her, no transfusions any more.

B12 deficiency is a very strong part of gluten intolerance. Gluten in a celiac/gluten intolerant's body changes so many things.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote