View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

I haven't had this procedure done either but have spoken to several others that have had it and this NEVER happened to them at all!!

I am so very sorry that you have had to go through all of this . I have had a Ketamine epidural before and I never had what you report happen, the only thing that happened to me was that it made my whole left leg numb for a few hours (which it was supposed to do).

I have had a Guanethidine nerve block before which is where they inject directly into your limb(s) affected by RSD and that caused me to have some pretty severe side effects. Before I had the nerve block, I was getting around on crutches but as soon as I woke from having the block, I couldn't walk at all. Everytime I tried to stand, my left leg would just throw itself out in front of me and I would fall to the floor.

We spoke to my doctor about the reaction I had and because he had never seen this happen before, he just kept saying that it couldn't happen and that I was faking it!! It was only when me and my mum went and had a look on the internet that my mum saw an article stating that you should NEVER inject directly into an RSD limb unless it is absolutely neccasary. We printed the details off and showed them to my doctor but he still said that this couldn't happen.

Eventually, my mum and myself had had enough so we went to a different hospital and the Pain Management Doctor there knew that I wasn't faking the problems and said that this complication could happen with the type of block I had. My doctor should have warned us about the potential risks involved but he didn't - he just said he was doing a nerve block and that it could reduce my pain so of course, we said "Do it"!!

My Doctor is a lot more understanding now but I can never forgive him for what happened. I really think that he KNEW he did something wrong and that he wouldn't admit to it because he knew it could get him into a lot of trouble.

I am so very sorry that you have had to go through all of this ((hugs)). It isn't right that your doctor wont talk to you about what happened and you shouldn't be treated this way at all!! Is there any way you could go and see another doctor? I would try and get in to see another doctor in your area if there is one ... sometimes second and even third opinions work really well and you often find a doctor that you like and who is able to treat you. You don't deserve to go through all of this and I really hope that you are able to find something that can help you.

You are in my thoughts and if you ever need someone to talk to, I am here for you.