View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 07:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This issue is a struggle for me, too. My cholesterol is high, and my LDL is high, but my doctors have still felt I was not a huge risk, because there were no other risk factors. But now I've got an elevated cardio CRP, so there's more reason to think about treatment. (And, I'm older, too; funny how that happens.)

One of my docs has urged cinnamon, and by using it in capsule form, I've got the numbers down 10%. But still, they're too high. Wings had pointed me towards Red Rice Yeast, but that lowered my HDL more than my LDL, plus, is still a statin with drug interactions with other meds, so I stopped it.

I tried niacin, but 1) couldn't take the flush, and 2) another doc urged against.

I'm now in a new practice and seeing all integrative physicians. I'm interested to see what they decide, when they decide what to do with me.
The lyme question is still there, because of the positive test, but I don't think I "look" like lyme, from what I'm reading; I just look like PN.

The cholesterol problem is an ongoing one for those of us who want to avoid statins, something which makes total sense for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nide44 View Post
"........Any drug that can cause any known incureable desease should not be sold."

Many times it is necessary to compromise.
Chemo is used for Cancer patients, but it can cause PN.
Which would the CA patient prefer?
But the drug companies are having the sales reps push statins.
Its big money.
My doc was an advocate of them.
Worked wonders on her patients' cholest. numbers. I needed a cholest. med, too.
I took Lipitor for one month, and then demanded Zetia. (Mrs D pointed me in that direction) My Sx seemed worse on the statin. I've changed my doc's attitude towards statins being a wonder drug.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote