View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default to all

HEY leatherneck, so glad you are on the mend!! OOORRAAAAHHHHHH!! Keep taking it easy, I know not your style, but nail that boot to the floor marine!!

to our mom of 3 littles...........I can empathize. I was not very old either when I got dx with mg. It is and was a scary thing to see life changing so much. I had dx in Oct and thymectomy in Jan. It is thought that to have the thymectomy in the first year is the best time for the most positive outcome. (of course with us, so many had mg longer and either didn't go to the doc or in some cases were jacked around by the docs and lost that 1yr window) I was one who thought oh to much work, to much running, to many irons in the fire and wrote of my disease for almost a year. Was first evaled in April by GP and diagnosed in Oct by neuro (waited 3 months for neuro appointment) diagnosiss was sure and swift within 3o mins of appt inititation. At any rate I had the VATS (robotic via 3 small slits on the R flank toward the back) There is some pain involved, but if you don't try to be wonder woman and go go go and do do do and not take your pain meds, you should be relatively comfortable. But no lifting the babies, so will need help 24/7. I sat on the coach or in the bed and the kids all piled in and snuggled like that. Works great that way. There are many and varied issues that can arise with the thymectomy. but it is like anything else, a crap shoot. Do you try it and maybe get remission?? Do you try it and NOT get remission. Do you NOT try it and then kick yourself down the road for not exhausting that possibility?? For me it was another thing to exhaust on the list of possible treatments. I had to know for sure that I had done all I could to fight the beast and the thymectomy was a part of that. Nothing in life comes with garuntees. But hey if you think there is a chance, go for it. You've had kids, and I am here to tell ya that is much worse than the surgery is. LOL. So take a deep breath, find a team you can trust who has experience in this. And be sure to find an anesthesiologist who is well versed in MG!! Mine was great. He kept monitoring my muscles thru the surgery and had the IV mesty so well regulated I came out of anesthesia without a hitch!!
God bless
Deb
justdeb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote