View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default cats, kids, and cake

Would like to wish everyone who visits here ( the ones I can see and the ones who do not post but visit quietly ) a peaceful happy holiday and a good year in 2009.

Evonne, Hope everything works out well for you, and that you have a good holiday despite everything; Stave and Laura, I have been following your story and am so pleased that there have been good outcomes out of what has been a very anxious time for you both...... your courage and strength has shone through. Jaye, Paula, Carey, Rick, Ron, Ann, Girija, Chasmo, Fiona, Peggy, Aftermathman, Dr John, our moderators, and all the others who make this place what it is, thank you, you have been a constant inspiration........

I don't post here often because my life is pretty mundane , but this week has been exceptional for several reasons. Five days ago we took in a young toroiseshell cat who came to our door very thin and starving, she is keeping me very entertained, and I am hoping so much that no-one will claim her. She has me hooked already!

On top of this my highly dysgraphic son, now 17 and in college, came home jubilant having made a pitch to make a film documentary as part of his course.....his tutor rated his presentation as exceptional.....he never had success in school, absolutely hated it, so this is sweet.

This is usually a very difficult time of year for me, I dread it, but this year a wonderful friend made it possible for me to go on a short intense meditation retreat with my Tibetan buddhist master as an early gift. It has helped me cope with my own mind a lot better - and was in all respects a very good and special few days. I live a very quiet life, but this gave me the opportunity to reconnect with some of my favourite people. I would not have made it there if not for my friend who has had thirty years with MS and has taught me so much about living with a long term condition.

I also made cake, about a month later than I should have - I know about fruitcake and americans yes Laura, in England people do sink that low!!! - mine comes from an 18th century dutch recipe, via the spice islands - you could imagine a woman from one of Vermeers paintings stepping over to her food safe and unlocking the precious nutmegs and spices, gathering the ingredients and instructing her cook on how to prepare it, and how to infuse it with brandy....... my house is redolent of this undertaking, and people come from afar to taste it every time I make it! Truly..!! I lived in France for a while, and sent one to my brother in the States. I had to declare the contents of the parcel at the post office, so put 'gateau de noel' , it got passed around from person to person, the whole place was rocking with laughter - it weighed about 3 kilos! I guess a French gateau is a much lighter confection!
In fairness is is eaten in very small pieces, which somehow takes away the feelings of sugar induced guilt.......

I shall quietly raise a glass to you all on Christmas night.............. for blessings in abundance and that all your wishes be fulfilled..........

Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jaye (12-24-2008), paula_w (12-23-2008)