View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 01:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Nickle -
I had my thymectomy a few years ago - Sternotomy... I was in ICU three days -then a regular unit for a day or so - Once I came home my sisters took turns staying with me and my daughter who was 12 at the time. The surgeon told me that I could not lift anything heavier than my shoes for the first week - then I couldn't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk - then 10 pounds, 20 pounds and then back to normal.

I would suggest that you talk to your neurologist about getting IVIg before the surgery so that you go into surgery strong and at your best - they did that for me and I did not have any difficulties following surgery with weakness other than that related to the actual surgery. I did not feel miraculously better and it was uncomfortable to sleep for a long time but in retrospect I think it has decreased my overall weakness. They were quite clear with me that thymectomies do not always work quickly and benefits can be seen as far out as ten years after the surgery. I have a long thin scar that is fading with time - but as far as I was concerned the scar was the least of it!

Ask questions of the neurologist - read as much as you can so you are making an informed decision. Good luck!
Gabrielle

Last edited by Gabe; 12-24-2008 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Gabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote