View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 12:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Has anyone ever seen someone die from liver failure??

I'm sorry to ask such a difficult question, but I don't know where else to turn. I used to sign on here all the time way back when for my pain issues.

Now I desperately need to know what to expect. My husband has been fighting liver cancer for four years. They have run out of things for him to try. He seems to be going downhill VERY rapidly.

I'm going to be VERY specific about his condition so that if it sounds familiar to anyone or if anyone just know someone/someplace else I can ask, please let me know that too.

In Sept. he was working and doing everything normally. He actually had a coworker who commented that he couldn't really be sick because he looked so healthy! Then after four years of nearly continual chemos and surgeries, he had a chemo embulization which make him very sick. He has been running a fever since Sept! He also started coughing at that time.

In the past 2 weeks he has had three blood transfusion since his hemoglobin is in the toilet. They dont' seem to take.

In the past week, massive pain, exhaustion (he sleeps almost 20 hours a day and can barely walk from one room to another) he can't eat or drink. All he is getting in is force fed Ensure which will obviously just make him weaker.

Today, he face got all yellow. I know that means the healthy liver cells that had been keeping him so healthy for all this time are failing.

I need to know what to expect. I can't ask the doctor with him in the room. He hasn't given up and I don't want him to know that my hope has run out in the past few days.

I need to know if there is a common time period it takes for a liver to fail completely and what happens after that??

Somebody please help me if you can. I'm desperate. I know this is the wrong board for this post, but it used to be my board of comfort and I know nothing and can't find any cancer boards that are active.

Any little glimmer of information on the actual process of dying will be greatly appreciated. I don't even know if and when I'm supposed to take him to the hospital or if there is nothing they can do, do we just stay here.

My spinal injury makes this difficult because I can't physical stay at the hospital, and even be able to move the next day.

Thanks for letting me post. Even writing this helped a little

Suzanne
gambles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote