View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb mysterious severe pain

like you describe can come from shingles.

And yes, they can go down the arm. That is where MINE came when I had them when I was in my mid 40's.

You do not have to have lesions, vesicles.

This can be tested for. A herpes zoster titre that is very high, would indicate this virus is active in the nerves.

Icing the roots in the neck may help. Also avoiding foods high in arginine may turn the virus off.
Over the years we had a PN patient with severe thoracic pain, and she listened to me, got the test, and ended up on Famvir. Pain gone!

If you have any Lidoderm patches, from the past, try them on the neck area, as well (over the roots).

Severe pain that does not show an organic cause on MRI or other testing, should be evaluated for zoster, IMO. It is often hidden.

Stress and consumption of high arginine foods is thought to
bring out an "attack" of shingles (and also herpes simplex in those infected with that)
http://www.globalherbalsupplies.com/...nformation.htm
Another test you can do yourself is to take about 2-3 grams of L-lysine to see if you can push the virus "back" into sleeping. Increasing L-lysine, lowers the arginine/lysine ratio, and often stops
attacks.
Arginine is what herpes uses to replicate, and it can bring on shingles pain.

It is just an idea, I think is worth exploring.
(If you have NOT had chicken pox in the past, the zoster pain is not likely--unless you
had a very mild case and did not recognize it as such).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote