Thread: MRI frequency
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I know I have MS, even though I denied it for many years. I have had one MRI in 18 yrs, because my doctors feel having another is not going to change anything . . .

Neurology. 2008 Dec 10

MRI as an outcome in multiple sclerosis clinical trials

Daumer M, Neuhaus A, Morrissey S, Hintzen R, Ebers GC.
From the Sylvia Lawry Centre for Multiple Sclerosis Research (SLC) (M.D., A.N.); Technical University of Munich (M.D.); Ludwig Maximilians-University (M.D.), Munich, Germany; Department of Neurology (S.M.), University Hospital of Rennes, France; Department of Neurology (R.H.), University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, Netherlands; Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics (G.C.E.), Oxford University; and Department of Clinical Neurology (G.C.E.), John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK.

INTRODUCTION

T2-weighted and gadolinium enhanced T1-weighted MRI scans measure plaque burden and breakdown of the blood-brain barrier, respectively, in multiple sclerosis (MS) lesions. These have become widely used outcome measures for monitoring disease activity in clinical trials and clinical practice. However, their use as surrogates or biomarkers for disability and relapses, key clinical outcome measures, has remained incompletely validated.

METHODS:

In a clinical trial database comprising 31 relapsing-remitting and secondary progressive MS trial placebo groups, we assessed relationships between 1) T2 lesion load (TLL) change and disability change and 2) gadolinium enhancement of MS lesions and on-study relapses with univariate and multivariate analyses.

RESULTS:

In relapsing-remitting MS, TLL change (n = 223) made no independent contribution to predicting change in disability from baseline to trials' end. Similarly, inclusion of gadolinium enhancing lesions (n = 170) into multivariate models did not independently contribute to the predictive value for on-trial relapses. In secondary progressive MS, a small effect of TLL was found for disability change (n = 355) but in multivariate analysis this accounted for less than 5% of the variance in end-of-trial disability. Results were replicated in independent datasets, more than doubling effective sample sizes.

CONCLUSIONS:

MRI measures widely used in trials of relapsing-remitting and progressive multiple sclerosis add little if anything independently to the clinically relevant relapse and disability outcomes. These results reemphasize the importance of validating potential surrogate markers against clinical measures and highlight the need for better MRI markers of disease activity and progression.

PMID: 19073945

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content...916.38629.43v1

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
woodhaven (12-27-2008)