Thread: DSL questions
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default DSL questions

I am consigned to dialup at this time. There is a possibility that DSL may soon be available.

#1- If I get DSL, am I REQUIRED to have a working phone account or does it just run through the phone wires, and if so, why do I have to maintain an open working phone account? Doesn't the signal run through anyway?

#2- If I have DSL, can I use Vonage or other VOIP phone service? Is there a way for the phone company to block this so I HAVE to use their phone service?

#3-Does a phone company who provides DSL have a dialup number as a backup if for any reason the DSL is out?

I remember how excited I was when we went from 18K to 32k to the screaming 50.2K that I get most of the time now. If I can work it out I am going for the DSL but I am not spending money to maintain a phone service on top of it.

I live in a VERY rural area and the phone co. gets us coming and going. We have been sold to every rinky dink phone company in the US and when they finally figure out that the wires haven't been upgraded since they were first installed, they sell us off to another company. At this point we have Fairpoint and it looks like they are planning to stick around for awhile. The state is requiring them to make major upgrades in their service areas because of their buyout of Verizon services in New England.

Any and all answers appreciated!
Thanks!!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (12-27-2008)