Thread: growling
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Mrs D has good advice. I too have a dog with fear issues. We adopted Rudy at age 2 and he had been beaten and dumped at a shelter. If you picked up the vacuum wand, he'd cower and run away because he was sure you were gonna use it on him.

We did learn a lot from Dog Whisperer, what we were doing wrong, what we were doing right.

Do not say "It's okay" and pet, love, give treats at any time when a dog is not doing what you want - especially when they are afraid. Doing so only tells the dog you want him to be afraid.

I know it's hard and goes against our nurturing nature, but when they are afraid, we have to "Sh!" and not allow that behavior.

Do the "Sh!" when he growls.

You will need him to get used to the crate in your home - he will forget what that meant elsewhere. Now, it is a safe and happy place. Picture in your mind a dog who loves the crate and runs right in.

Half of dog training is seeing in your mind exactly what you want from your dog. I swear, they are psychic. They see what you imagine and wanting so badly to please you, they do it.

But they need first to know YOU are in charge. So project that you are the pack leader, you are never frustrated or mad, but you will have your way. You are not asking him to do something, you are telling, and you know he will do it.

The first time either of my boys had been on leash, they tangled and tripped me for 5 mins.

I put a picture in my head of the three of us walking perfectly, like a scene from a movie. Suddenly, they heeled like show dogs on slack leashes like they'd been doing in for years. Amazing. People stop and ask me how I do that.

mistiis (01-07-2009)