Thread: DSL questions
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 PM
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

no....LOL

it depends on the modem...

the newer modems might give you TWO ethernet cords (there are modem/router hybrids out there now). If that IS the case, then, YES, you can plug two computers in.

If it IS truly a modem/router hybrid, there is a likely chance that it might also be wireless, but it'll ususally say so...and I doubt it.

the ethernet cords look like phone jacks (I am sure you know this) but is BIGGER...

there are two types, Cat5 and Cat6. Cat6's are faster than cat5's...

what it looks like should be a cable co-axial (usually the round cable thing with a stick sticking out) to your modem.

Then, from your modem to your puter, is connected by ethernet cord.

They usually try to use red/yellowblue for the main connections for the routers and then white or grey for the conveyers(but usually don't make a difference in most cases)

if you have more then ONE ethernet connection in the back of your modem, you MIGHT be in luck so try running the other one to the laptop

if you only have ONE ethernet connection on your modem, then:

it goes from modem to router>>>>router splits it usually into 4 separate connections.

this is just for fun on how this works.

A router has its own gateway address, then you have your subnets IP address that are given by your routers. (this is good to know in case you are thinking about networking printers, you can go P2P printer or routing your printer,but that's another story for another time)

so, what's happening is the router is taking your modem's main IP address and splitting that and giving each one of your networks an individual address...

this is why security becomes important...(but that's another story)

if you have a modem with ONLY one ethernet cord, only ONE IP address is assigned there thus you cannot split that modem. A router will do that.

But if a modem is a hybrid, then it has that capability to give you another sub IP address...

LMAO....

I just realized what a geek/nerd I am...and how excited when I talk tech...gosh, I Need to get a life...LOLOLOL

PS. some newer Vonage modems also has two ethernet cords and can act as router....just an FYI

"you're entering, the

zone..."
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote