View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I asked my neuro, who works for a major university medical center and research center. Improvements are possible, yes, but a true MEDICATION FREE remission (which is defined by a total lack of symptoms after ALL medications are withdrawn that lasts for more than 12 months) are quite rare.

I've been busy posting in message boards for almost 10 years now and have literally "met" hundreds of MG patients both online and in person. None have achieved the elusive DRUG FREE remission. I do realize that people who have achieved remission don't usually spend time on message boards, so my personal experiences are likely skewed. I happened upon another woman on a different type of message board who HAS achieved remission, and for over 25 years, too. She, btw, was diagnosed/had surgery at age 8. It took her about 10 years before she went into remission but she's stayed good since. She's the only person I've ever met who has had remission.

Expectations vary from person to person. I have been totally symptom free for a stretch of 2.5 years (several years ago) but was taking lots of meds, so I don't consider it a remission. I know others who shout from the rooftops that they are "in remission" when they simply vacuum the carpet one time. All is relative in the world of symptom watching! LOL

Hope this helps.

Missy
MissyGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote