Thread: Neuropathy
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Welcome to neuro talk Ellies Mom!

I'm gonna guess that [I'm no doc mind you] that you have what is called a 'toxic neuropathy'. From the chemo.
I urge you to check out NT's peripheral neuropathy forum:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum20.html
Just click on the 'blue' and you'll jump right to there. DO READ the 'Sticky' - called Important Links. There is a heap of information about all sorts of neuropathies there and what all is being done to test it and treat it. It's a LOT of reading, but, the more you learn about it, the better you can understand how neuropathy and cancer happen and affect our bodies.
I too have had BC, surgery two years ago [how I escaped chemo or rads is still beyond me!] So far, for me? So good, I guess. Knock wood.
IN my case, the PN started 3 years before the cancer was found. They may be related, but at the time of my PN onset? Cancer-type testing wasn't done. Doctors focus on symptoms not what may be underneath it all.
And, YES! IT HURTS! A LOT! and all the time.
DO please, please please, NOT stop the Lyrica unless you do it under the neuro's guidance! This is not a drug you can quit cold turkey. You can safely go off of it tho, with your neuro's help. It is a cautious and careful process. The meds available to PN sufferers tho are limited. Take it a step at a time.
Are you now on Tamoxifen or Arimidex or one of the other 'lovely' post-meds? I've been running up or down the menu and they affect my PN or other aspects of some other med issues I have big and small time! Read and learn about PN's in the meantime. Ask questions, not one is too silly seeming! I've asked some doozies in the past, and at times feel like asking more. Don't be shy, please. Hugs, hang in there and hope! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote