View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbo View Post
Anyone else have Excessive daytime sleepiness - Idiopathic Hypersomnolence (Central Nervous System)? Doc said that its almost like being narcoleptic, but without the REM sleep. The sleep study revealed that I only spend 6% of my sleep in "deep" sleep vs the average of 18-20%....anyone else have this problem?

Yes! I was dx with this about 4 months ago and given Provigil to help me be able to function at work during the day(.I was told that the most common side effect of this medicine is weight loss and hair loss. I don't mind the wieght loss but the hair loss was horrible. I now have a very short haircut but mly hair is so thin now.) I kept getting worse and needing additional medication increases, which I felt were not good. I sought a 2nd opinion and after review of the sleep studies done , I was told that I most likely have Narcoleposy and a breathing disorder. I have another sleep study tonight for further clarification of dx.

Trust your own knowledge of your body and I would have a 2nd opinion from another neurologist. All of this dx process has taken about 6 months and I still am not better , however, I feel more on the right track now, to getting my life back. I obtained a great job at about the time all of this problem started for me. I took short term disability recently to get everything under control so that I wouldn't loose my job. If this is available to you, I would consider it also. I had trouble learning anything new and remembering anything new, which caused a trememdous stress environrment. I feel certain that the stress made everything worse. The real trouble with sleep disorderes is that you look perfectly fine and people are unaware of the seriousness of your illness. I haven't been able to drive for months because I fall asleep while driving. I hope that you don't experience this, but if you do, don't take a chance driving. Should you have an accident while driving, it is considered a felony offense because you knew you had a sleep disorder. I was not aware of this law at all. I am in Texas and our state is the last to do any type of legislation when it comes to our autos and our guns. You may want to check out the laws in your state.

I wish you the best for your future treatment!!!
grammyto09 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote