View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Some ripostes?

To augment or confuse the issues is the following AARP article I'd posted ages ago here and elsewhere:
http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/prisoners_pain.html
Someone said: This has been a wonderful experience? Was that me from donkey's years ago or another fortunate person? Please tell me WHO said that? I, for one, would hate to be quoted out of context.
It was sports training in both the Alexander and Feldenkrais techniques that made ME aware that my own PN was NOT normal by any means. And it turned out to be an immune-related neuropathy [possibly paraneoplastic] for which there is only treatment of the symptoms- NO Cures.
I am all for trying ANYTHING. IF it works and does no harm? Fine! And, I have tried more options than you will ever know here! But, for some, vitamins and mineral supplementation can and does help keep the rest of the body from becoming worse. However, the main issue of pain, and then constant MORE pain persists. ALWAYS.
Key to this all is finding a neurologist who CAN and DOES listen to what your issues are, and doesn't brush it off as 'all in your head'! It can be done, I got lucky myself on my second and third trys and got the testing I needed [no, required] to diagnose my PROGRESSIVE PN issues.
Should a person have progressing neuropathy pains and issues, well, then call in the BIG DOGS! To delay in agressive testing and diagnostics is to assure permanent damages of both large and small fibers in the nervous system. Thus that analogy of being poured with gasoline and set on fire. I liken my status as to being dipped into the french fry oil.
Yes, one can substitute guilt with action! Terror only comes when the stuff progresses at a rate of inches an hour tho! I've been there. I have permanent damages, but, I've also some healing. Patience is the key. Thousands of nerves can die during a PN onset. It takes months and years for this all to heal. I wish it were more simple to put. The research on PN caused nerve death and healing is slim, at best.
For me, immuno-augmentation, via IVIG has been my salvation. It is not for all. The testing is extensive, expensive and the treatments more so. But, were it not for that therapy? I could not walk or be other than bed-bound. Honestly? I truly do wish that B-12 could be my only cure! Or ALA or ALC or whatevers.... I do take them, I need all the help I can get. But for some? 20-30%? here? It is NOT the end all or cure all needed. Please be respectful and helpful to those folks as well.
Hugs and hope always - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (12-31-2008)