View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default azilect

We are almost 3 years post dx and started Azilect as soon as it became available in the US. My husband takes it, mirapex, and sinemet. Of these three, he likes (and I use that word in the loosest possible sense) azilect the best because it fogs his head the least, seems to level him out the most, and he does feel worse if he misses it (we once went off it and he felt liked he took a downward turn). Got back on it asap.

We have a fairly pharmacuetically-sophisticated, if not occasionally grouchy, neuro, and I think his take on meds is pretty accurate-he is massively empirical. He is skeptical Azilect is truly neuroprotective, but is willing to wait and see what the trials bear out. He did not recommend selegiline because you had to take much more to get the same effect as azilect. On the food thing, what we got from that is that you'd have to pretty much eat an entire wheel of cheese to have a problem, but everyone is different. So far we have had no problem with food and azilect.

I will throw out there that we tried taking 2mg of Azilect because we were trying to see if the additional 1mg would have a antidepressant effect. Our neuro went along with this for awhile, but the insurance company complained and made his life difficult (since he had to justify the script) and in reality, it did not seem like the higher dose had any more effect than the 1mg. So we are back to the 1mg.

The nicotine patch helps us the most with mood, FYI. I have posted about this before. Read those posts before, and if, you decide to try it.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bryn (01-01-2009)