Thread: TN Newbie
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default TN Newbie

This is my situation in a nutshell. I am so new to this (3 days) that any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. Weekend before Xmas, tooth abcess like pain in my upper and lower jaw seemed to trigger with cold ( weather and drink) and with heat (ie cup of coffee ). I see my dentist thinking abcess tooth and he says he doesnt see or recognize anything that raises any flags to him. O.K. so then I start thinking maybe I have a sinus infection even though it doesnt feel like I do. I work the next few days ( yes through Xmas, Im a repiratory therapist in a hospital), all the while with hourly episodes of intense pain on the left side of my face, cheek, jaw, teeth,for about 10 minutes at a time. Following that work stretch, I go to the Medicenter (after hours, weekend) and the Doc there says he thinks I have neuralgia and to make an appointment with my regular family practitioner on Monday. Monday I made a quick appointmaent and was seen by my doctors P.A.,who diagnosed me with trigeminal nuralgia and placed me on neurontin 300mg 3 x a day. I just started taking it last night, today my jaw and cheeck pain is down significantly although there is still a dull ache and toothpain. I guess Id like to know if this sounds familiar? Does nuerontin usually take away all of the pain ? I havent even seen my regular doctor about this yet let alone a neurologist. Do I need to request a neurology consult? How long does a typical episode last? Reading some of the posts regarding TN are scaring the heck out of me. Any thoughts, suggestions? Thank you.. Don
Donald 2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote