View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 01:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlek View Post
YOu state that you've had PN from '93 then also indicate that in the last five years your PN has gotten worse? I was never aware of an excaberation of your own PN events. Needless to say, I do wonder about YOUR test results and what actual records YOU have on them to help you understand whether you do have immune or auto-immune issue[s]-and of what kind...

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The acute and rapidly worsening stage of my PN lasted several months starting in 1993, and then became chronic to this date (but I'm usually pretty pain-free the past few years). It took me about five years (about 1997 or 1998) to finally find a semi-competent neurologist (outside of my HMO) who actually did appropriate testing. Even at that, he didn't suggest a treatment plan, so it cost me thousands of dollars to find out what didn't cause my PN.

Quote:
But, to espouse one approach as the end all and be all without other considerations is not always the route others have to take. Nor, should they necessarily.
The article, and I, recommend looking at many approaches. In your reproach of me, you seem to be the one recommending one approach, neurologist prescribed treatment.

Quote:
We are all here to HELP and INFORM others about their options, and to empathize with their pains, as we've got them too. While I might state my opinions, I do try to make them distinct from information presented. I present articles or information sites in-situ without editing to avoid any biases I might have one way or the other [aside from that it mite be interesting]. I know you have read many of them and have cited them in part in other places. To get things out of context at times tho, is like listening to the 'minute' news. Lots can be lost to those interested without the effort of actually LOOKING it UP! Each 'beneficiary' of PN should have to LEARN and Actually LOOK up stuff for themselves! We can and do provide starting points? But the actual learning has to be THEIR OWN.
To quote what I actually posted to start this thread, "Drugs have a place in pain treatment, allowing people to function and live their lives while healing therapies are applied." and

"Some warnings and cautions are in order. First, this is my summary of a much longer and better written article. Please don't do anything based on my summary without reading the article it came from. I tried to be accurate, but in my picking and choosing what to summarize and what to exclude, I may have omitted something that you need to know."

Quote:
Weill and others serve their function in terms of helping encourage US to learn, but WE have to do our own job of learning to get wherever it is we need to be.... [I think that's from Douglass Adams' Dirk Gently-the Psychic Detective-or a deriviative of same]. Hugs and hope always - j
At times, I realize and appreciate that I am not an 'animal'! Given my state, I'd likely have been put-down a while ago! Go figger.
And finally, "we have to become our own experts, captains of our own ship of health." That last bit is from the article, not me, but I agree with it.

So, we broadly agree on every point. The tone of your first reply is that what I posted is diametrically opposite to your point of view, but that's not the case at all. I'm only trying to help empower people and give hope and some direction to the newbies here, to let them know things are not hopeless and they are not helpless.

I'm upset that your reply twisted, distorted, misrepresented, or made up what I wrote. It has only served to very much muddy and confuse the message of the original posting. I'm sorry you didn't just reply to me in a personal message instead.

Now I remember why I drifted away from this forum. Somebody too often seemed to twist what was clearly stated, essentially "In dealing with your PN, look at the many paths to healing and to your total health" into their own tirade based on their biases, usually a strident defense of drug use.

What started out as an attempt to give back to this community turned into a total bummer. There are better uses of my time than spending hours preparing a posting reporting on an article I thought might help many people, and then spending many more hours having to untwist angry distortions, confusions, and misrepresentations having little to do with what I actually wrote. I'd rather spend an afternoon at the dentist. At least that would help fix me and would help the dentist get wealthy so we both benefit. This was quite the opposite of beneficial to me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ann-elizabeth (12-31-2008), dahlek (01-01-2009), dlshaffer (01-01-2009), Leslie (01-05-2009), mrsD (12-31-2008)