Thread: power chair
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have a Hoveround Technique at home. Actually, I really like it; it's very sturdy, has a small turning radius for inside, and handles inclines and outside surfaces like grass and gravel really well. However, it's a tank (250 lbs). Transportable? So I was using the manual chair in stores etc., and last year it just got to be too much.

I ended up buying a Pride Go Chair. It's a travel power chair. It's very easy to break down and put back together (no more time consuming or difficult than the manual chair), and the heaviest part is 25 lbs. It has an extremely small turning radius, and is very nippy. It's perfect for what I use it for, in stores, resteraunts and so on. I use the Hoveround at home, and the Pride chair lives in the car -- which it fits into easily.

Insurance companies (including Medicare) won't pay for a travel power chair, so it's an out of pocket expense. Mine cost $1500. I thought, hmmm. Let's see. Handicap Van, $30,000 or more. Pride Chair, $1500. Lemme think, now. Tough decision. What you might call a no-brainer.

Chris
Chris66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote