Thread: one month in...
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 02:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loretta jewell View Post
Hi Mom in pain RSD,

I'm so sorry you have RSD. The good news is you were diagnosed early. I wouldn't say your symptoms are mild. I've had RSD 12 years, now full body. Started the day after breast biopsy, swollen arm, shooting pains, frozen shoulder. Wasn't correctly diagnosed for 4 years. Had many other symptoms. It's important you get treatment as soon as possible. Did you read the message from the lady who went to florida for nerve block. She had nerve block before but done correctly. Just make sure you have an experienced Dr who has done many blocks. Ask questions. Is the Dr. an anethesiologist with RSD experience?

You really are in a good place to get full remission. I know you want to get off the opiods, who doesn't. It's my understanding it's best for you to go in for the block, relaxed
so the procedure doesn't stress your sypmathetic nervous system. I would ask the Dr. if he recommends an anti-anxiety med for the procedure. I take lorazepam 2 mg. and they help me more than vicodin. It calms my system down.

There are a lot of caring friends here. Please let us know how you are doing. Take care, Loretta Jewell
I have good news!!! My first block is scheduled for THIS Friday!!! A new year.....hopefully better luck!!! Actually, I just endure the pain (barely at night) and have been taking Advil instead of pain pills. It has been recommended to me by my PT that I take the Vicodin in the evening when my symptoms are at their worst, however. I hate taking them.....they actually make me not sleep well......but I suppose having the sensation of ants biting my foot or glass being rubbed in it isn't helping the sleep condition either!! I only have the color changes when I stand up, for some reason. That is also when I feel like my foot is going to blow up from the pressure. Otherwise, I just have the odd, prickly, electric sensations and muscle twitches and extreme allodynia. That is why I kept hoping it wasn't RSD. Denial or what???

Since they told me I couldn't take Advil the day before the injection, I will have no choice but to take Vicodin tomorrow anyway. I already take Klonopin in the evenings to help me relax and fall asleep, so hopefully that will help for the procedure. They said they will knock me out as much as I need. I've passed out lying down on my stomach for epidural injections in my spine for back problems in the past, so they will HAVE to put me pretty far under if they want me conscious at all.

The problem is (among other things) that my hubby has been unemployed looking for senior executive work for a year now. I am a homemaker. We have no money to travel for me to see the appropriate docs. Someone else on this forum has seen the same pain doc I am seeing and said he was good (although the blocks did not help her). I have no choice but to seek treatment where I live. It is a haul to either Indy or Chicago and I don't do well in the car. I will do it for an HBOT treatment, though.

I do consider myself VERY lucky to have been diagnosed so early on. That is ONE good thing this surgeon did......he coldly diagnosed me a few weeks after the symptoms started. I immediately got myself in to two other docs who confirmed the diagnosis.....I have pictures of my foot and leg turning bright red and swollen at various stages and have made a 3 ring binder notebook with articles, guidelines, contact info, PT info, calendar, etc...that I take with me to all my appointments.

I actually educated my physical therapist today on NEVER using ice or contrast baths with people with RSD. I'm taking my treatment into my own hands, making sure no one screws me up more than they already have. Since it is rare, I feel it is my responsibility to spread the accurate word about it for EVERYONE'S sake. I was nice about it and I think she actually appreciated the info.

I thank each of you who has responded to me. I spend so much time in the bed now and am so lonely and bored and scared. No one really knows what to say to someone who has a chronic pain condition. I am already at a disadvantage given that I am dealing with this AND unemployment and impending bankruptcy. I was LONG ago abandoned by most "friends" anyway. I am grateful for this site to connect with other people and offer/receive support!!!

I hope for a better, pain-free year to come for us all!!!
MominPainRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DianaA (12-31-2008), loretta jewell (01-02-2009)