Thread: TN Newbie
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 06:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald 2 View Post
Thanks Ellena, I am wondering about the tooth pain. I have one tooth that feels like its abcessed, I can only eat on the right side of my mouth, (The tooth is on my left, as is the rest of my pain). How does one differentiate between a real tooth problem and a TN flare up there? Also, if TN comes and goes?, does one stop taking thier meds to find out or is there an obvious lack of pain that would suggest a remission? Thanks alot, Don
I have both the classic type of TN(aka: TN1) and the atypical form(aka: TN2). Sadly, mine is bilateral and affects both sides with all three branches of the nerve. One side is more active than the other, so at least that is good, but I experience pain daily. I haven't had a remission in three years or so and I don't have any plans of going off my meds. I had this condition for a long time before I knew what I had, and early on, I would get months of remission between attacks, but those times are long gone. Maybe thats why I'm so firm about not taking a med holiday. After having so many teeth pulled, I've learned to look for swelling and inflamation in the gums around the suspect tooth, and I always follow up with my current dentist who is very aware of my condition. He has sent me to other dental professionals to verify his findings before anything is ever done and he approachs me with caution and puts up with my never ending anxiety over anything dental related.

Some doctors and TN'ers do recommend that their patients take med holidays, but there are risks involved concerning getting the same pain relief from previously used meds. I've read that you sometimes get the rebound effect and have to increase the med to get the same relief as before, but since you work in the medical field, you probably know more about that than I and you're better equipped to articulate it. I haven't taken one since I started treating with meds. I've had to change meds more times than I can count, but I haven't been med free since I discovered what I was dealing with and finally got treatment for it.

The last tooth that I had a root canal on is still an active trigger for me, even though it has been capped and is dead. I deal with a lot of pain around that tooth, sometimes the electrical type, and others the nonstop boring pain thats associated with this condition.

Sorry for the long response. I get on a roll at times. Hopefully, I've answered your questions.

Take care, EE
EE03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote