Thread: TN Newbie
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Hi Don, sorry to meet you here, but nice to meet you.

I also have atypical trigeminal neuralgia (or neuropathy). I don't get the brief excruciating pain of typical neuralgia, but the constant burning ice pick through the ear pain. I have found very little helps. I've tried heat, and that helps. Smoking MJ can help, especially if done on a daily basis (not very practical for TN, when there are only brief moments of intense pain).

The other drug I found that works is amitriptiline, which can be prescribed as an antidepressant, and sleep aid. My husband takes it for sleep and general pain and I tried it for a couple of nights and it made a difference. I'll be seeing my neuro about an rx soon. Again, it is something to take daily.

I've even used meditation, and it works too, but takes some practice, and you need a few quiet moments to concentrate.

I don't mind the daily dose of whatever, since my pain can come on suddenly and intensely and last for days, go dormant for a day or two, and then come back as a dull ache on my right side for a week or more, getting more intense on some days. When the pain is dull, achy and long-lasting, meditation can't seem to touch it.

Good luck and hope for good things in the new year!
Catch, I use meditation too, when its quiet and I can focus. For me, it doesn't change the pain, but it changes the way I experience it. I have been able to give myself a brief break from the long lasting stuff using it. Sadly, I can't reach the state I need to be in quick enough for it to help with the quick electrical shock pain. But when it happens repeatedly, I can usually get it to help a little.
EE03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote