View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 12:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default there are other docs too...

who have trained with Dr. S and can also do Ketamine infusions. When I called earlier this year to Dr. S I was given the same long-wait story - but there are several other MD's in his group who have much more available openings for consults - one in New York as well as several in Philly. I took my wife to Dr. Zahid Bajwa, the director of the Arnold Pain Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston (the teaching hospital for Harvard Medical School). There she received a consultation appointment within a few weeks and offered both in-patient and out-patient infusions.

But be forewarned - most medical centers, including Dr. S, will only consider the low-dose (max of 40mg/hr) infusions whether or not they are done as a continuous five day in-patient or a 2-4hr outpatient infusion. These, while good enough for some people, do not provide long-term lasting relief for most and must be repeated. Dr. Kirkpatrick in Tampa, FL (and a couple of MD's in Los Angeles) are the only ones I am aware of who are pushing the envelope on the higher, though still within the range of conscious sedation, outpatient infusions, reaching 135mg/hr for 4 hours giving a large Ketmaine dose. After a three day series of these with Dr. K, my wife had a remission of the RSD pain which lasted about two weeks. Unfortunately, like with many other full Ketmaine coma participants I have spoken with or followed, for many Ketamine is but a patch and not a cure or long term remission. The vast majority of the Ketamine coma participants that I know of (some personally) continue to require regular booster infusions to keep their symptoms and pain managable - and often these boosters become larger and larger doses (very frustrating for me to hear too!). I often thought that the infusions were a cure with occasional boosters but after the very large expense of the coma I know people who have spent another $75k plus getting follow-up boosters. Until Ketamine becomes more widely available, as in your local MD for a booster, it's limited for people such as my wife.

Hope some of the contact info helps.
BigBug is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote