View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 01:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[QUOTE=jtaylor;426064]I recently had an MRI done and when I went to the doctor to get the results I was pretty much told that I had to take some time off work. I was given Neurontin and pain pills and told to come back if things got worse. I was not given an explanation on the results and was wondering if someone on here could help. I will copy the results as I cannot think of an easier way to word it.

The L5/S1 disc annulus demonstrates broad based posterior bulge with a superimposed posterior central protuberance, without effacement of the thecal sac or spinal root sheath. The lateral foramina are narrowed to a mild degree only and the exiting L5 nerve root sheaths are not effaced.
The L4/5 annulus demonstrates broad based posterior bulge also, with slightly more prominent posterior central component that causes mild deformation of the anterior marginal thecal sac. There is no significant lateral stenosis at this level.
The L3/4 disc annulus demonstrates minimal circumferential bulge without stenosis. The L2/3 level and above demonstrates no stenosis.

not a doctor but have heard it desribed over and over

L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 - Lumbar spine - low back; S - sacral spine like your tailbone

Broad - Size -- either small, moderate or broad bulge or other size descriptive term

Posterior - backside of your spine

Bulge - A bulge is on your disc(soft tissue; not your vertebrae(bone) a bulge is like a knot on a tire. not herniated. Herniated broke through the annulus of a disc -

"without" effacement is a good thing - the bulge did not indent the thecal sac

Annulus is the tough outer ring of your disc

"No" stenosis is a great thing. Stenosis is narrowing of the area described. Radiologist is just describing what he sees so your doctor can make a treatment plan based on these things.

mild deformation of the anterior marginal thecal sac - not sure, but it's mild - sounds congential -

just describing anything from the normal as a finding. doesn't mean it's bad. it's just a finding and therefore the radiologist has to describe it.

Using words like "without" and "no" just tells the doctor what it's not too. that's also important to a treatment plan and for your benefit that a radiologist describes these things to your doctor in these ways.

Hope it helps some.
(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote